Seasonal Variations in a Typical Year
Parking in October
During October, there are changes to the parking rates. On Saturdays, Sundays, and Columbus Day, the Downtown Garage, Waterfront Garage, and Church Street West Lot charge a flat fee of $20 upon entry regardless of length of stay. Only cash is accepted.
The Church Street West Lot is free to Salem residents with valid identification. The rate is also reduced for patrons of Church Street businesses. Please see the attendant for more information.
On October 30 and 31, the Sewall Street and Crombie Street lots are free for Salem residents with valid indentification.
Throughout the month, Halloween Resident Parking Passes are available for residents who reside on the streets listed below. These passes are valid from October 1 through November 1 and are available at the Collector’s Office located in City Hall at 93 Washington Street.
Please note that proof of residency is required (both license and registration).
Passes are available for residents living on:
- Andrew Street
- Boardman Street
- Briggs Street
- Brooks Court
- Cross Street from Saunders Street to Lemon Street
- Curtis Street
- Derby Street between Turner Street and Webb Street
- Emerton Street
- Essex Street from Webb Street to Hawthorne Boulevard
- Forrester Street
- Hawthorne Boulevard
- Lemon Street
- Milk Street
- Oliver Street
- Parker Court
- Pickman Street
- Pleasant Street
- Pleasant Street Avenue
- Spring Street
- Washington Square
- Webb Street
- Webster Street
- Winter Street
Parking passes are also available for the Blaney Street lot.
City of Salem Snow Emergency Neighborhood Parking Locations
Snow emergencies are indicated by the flashing blue lights on streetlights. Snow emergencies are announced on local radio, SATV, and via the City’s automated telephone message system.
The following are snow emergency neighborhood parking locations that may be of assistance during snowstorms:
- Downtown and Waterfront garages. The snow emergency rate for both garages is $5.00 per 24-hour period or any portion of 24 hours.
- Snow emergency parking rates go into effect when the flashing blue lights are activated throughout the city. Please note that any vehicles entering the garages for snow emergencies before the blue lights are activated will be charged the regular hourly rate (75 cents per hour) until the vehicle is removed. Vehicles entering after the snow emergency lights are activated will be charged the snow emergency rate detailed above.
There is no charge to park in the locations below. Vehicles must be removed when the snow emergency has ended.
- Bates School Lot
- Bentley School Lot
- Blaney Street Lot
- Broad Street Playground
- Carlton School Lot
- Castle Hill Playground
- Collins Middle School – Jackson Street parking area
- Forest River Park
- Gallows Hill Lower
- Mack Park
- Salem State University – O’Keefe Center Parking Lot: A permit is required and can be obtained at the College’s Public Safety Office. Please call 978-542-7096 for further details.
- Salem Willows Park
- Saltonstall parking area on Salem Street
- Shetland Properties: Residents who wish to park in the designated area must register with Shetland Park Security and obtain a vehicle pass that must be displayed on the cars dashboard. Permits can be obtained at the Shetland Security Department from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday through Friday. All vehicles must be removed immediately following the cancellation of the snow emergency (including weekends). Any questions, please contact Shetland Security at 978-740-4429
- Witchcraft Heights School Lot
Please note the Church Street West lot is not a snow emergency lot.